Thursday, August 9, 2007

I'm Hungry I'm Sleepy I'm Hungry I'm Sleepy I'm...

We really wish he's make up his mind. I've already mentioned Melissa's uncanny sedative-rich milk. Well, Luke's starting to take it to the extreme. He'll feed for about 10 minutes, then fall asleep for 10 minutes. Then he'll wake himself up, eat for 10 minutes, fall asleep. The end result of this pattern is Melissa sprawled out in bed, daydreaming of that enjoyable thing she used to do called sleeping.

He's been very active during the evenings. Most days he stays awake from the time I get home until I go to bed, a period of about 5 hours. Unfortunately, Melissa usually is exhausted by the time I get home, so it's tough to get much time to spend with her.

Luke has been very interested in television. I read an article the other day about how babies who watch a lot of television have a harder time developing speech and have a shorter attention span. Apparently babies can be overstimulated. So I find myself trying to keep his attention from the TV, but the TV usually wins. Come on, Friends reruns aren't THAT great.

We're really close to trying a bottle on him. With his virtual non-stop feeding routine, it's almost going to become necessary to keep Melissa well. I can't tell you how strong my desire is to just take him and let her sleep for 8 hours. She needs it.

It's scary how fast the house falls apart now, though. I've been trying to stay on top of some of it, but my list is growing faster than it used to. Baby socks are the bane of a washing machine. Those little things are getting crammed in spots I didn't think possible.

Luke lost his umbilical cord. He still has what looks like an old wound on his belly button, but it's healing rapidly. He had a circumcision cover, too, and it's finally fallen off. His hair is also growing rapidly. I'm hoping for a full-blown mullet before it falls out. Everyone keeps saying he looks like me, but he's still got dark blue eyes and golden hair...

No comments: