Friday, August 17, 2007

Hungry Butt


At first, you might think Keri was decribing Luke when she used the term "hungry butt". After all, the term describes my son fairly well. I think she was referring to a wedgie or something. It was quite funny.

Luke is three weeks old. It's hard to believe he's already that old, but he's already gained a lot of weight and grown over an inch. He's going to grow fast. At three weeks, babies are getting ready for a growth spurt. Luke has been drinking greedily from his bottles in preparation. Missy is starting to get worried that he's becoming less interested in nursing from her.

I hate the internet. People have posted all their nursing baby problems, and Melissa reads each and every one of them and tries to find a way that Luke has a similar problem. Recently, she found a story about a baby that needed his tongue needs surgically cut to allow him to nurse correctly. I'm almost certain that one of these days she'll find a story about a baby boy that had to have his penis removed to nurse properly.

Nursing correctly or not, Luke's getting plenty of food. Our latest crude weighings have him at almost 11 pounds, which is amazingly fast weight gain. He still ends most bottle feedings with that "why did I eat so much?" dazed look on his face.

Luke has been attempting to smiling at us. He makes a noise sometimes that we perceive as a laugh, but we're usually doing something like changing a diaper, which he doesn't really like. So either it's evil laughter while he's thinking, "I'm going to fill this new clean diaper with corrosive foulness within seconds", or he's just experimenting with sounds. Or maybe he's just in his own little world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I gotta know. Matt, have you said, "I am your father" to your son after cutting off his lightsabre hand yet?

Unknown said...

The 'why did I eat so much' face is called "Milk Drunk". Paul and I laughed over that one when we first heard it! Keep your blogs coming, I'm enjoying reading your adventures and remembering where we came from :)