Monday, August 13, 2007

He's growing!

Luke has already grown 3/4 of an inch. He's also still gaining weight twice as fast as an average baby. Although we thought he'd slow down, he still is extremely fussy until he's had a LOT of food, then he finally calms down.

We finally caved in and gave him a bottle. We were worried, because several sources claim that the babies will prefer the bottle to any other nursing, and you pretty much have to give them one every time. So far, Luke has not had this problem. In fact, he seems to be nursing a bit better without bottles. Bottles are a great thing. I can finally let Melissa sleep more than three hours at a time. She's already looking a bit more rested.

Missy and I both become demons when awoken in the early morning. For example, we have this spring-based clamp light attached to our bed. The other morning Missy tried to adjust it to not blind Luke, and it fell off, crashed loudly, and went out. I bolted up, screamed, ran over and unplugged it. It wasn't THAT scary, I just become a little psychotic when I'm sleep deprived. I was so tired that the memories feel more like a dream than real. When I'm tired, I tend to say stupid things too, like "maybe you should feed him".

Missy doesn't say or act nearly as stupid as I do, but it's a noticable difference between night and day when she feeds. During the day she's got a smile and is chatty and having a good time. At night she looks stressed, and I feel there's a reasonable chance she'd slay me if I breathe too loudly.

Luke's been sleeping mostly through the night though, other than feeding times. He's had some longer stretches of sleep, too, which is great. He's rarely fussy when he's well fed, even when he's awake. I've almost had him smile at me a couple times, but I'm guessing it was an accident.

He's still dark blonde and his eyes are in the dead zone between blue and brown (we're still pretty sure he'll be brown-eyed). He's got a nice double-chin now thanks to his double feeding rate. His skin is in between Melissa (pale) and mine (tan), but closer to Melissa's than mine.

This is the usual conversation guests have with Melissa: "He looks like Matt!" followed by, "I'm so sorry".

No comments: