Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ahh, Contentment


Luke had his first doctor's appointment yesterday. We found out that he hasn't been getting all the food he needs. We're having difficulty getting him to latch on properly, so he's not getting enough milk.

Breastfeeding has been, in general, a pain. At first it's a struggle for everyone, but Luke still insists on having his hands in his face while feeding, which logically won't work. So we still have a tough time getting it to work.

We had to resort to syringe feeding him because he's losing some weight. The results of this first feeding were hilarious. He had this weird look on his face, which we decided was "being full". He just sat there bewildered for almost half an hour. Then naturally he relieved his newly found weight into his diaper.

Since we've started syringe feeding, he's starting to behave like what we expected. He hasn't been crying much at all, he sleeps all the time, and I'm going to have to cut our trees down to make more diapers. The naps are giving Missy and I a chance to catch up on our sleep, too.

Oh, and he definitely snorts like a pig when hungry.

1 comment:

len said...

I remember having to syringe feed Lauryn when she was little. I'm not sure how you are doing it, but the nurse showed us how we could tape the syringe tubing (if you are using tubing) to my pinky finger and then I would put my finger in her mouth and squeeze the syringe with my thumb. It made it easier for Lauryn to eat. I always remember thinking that those moments were awesome and not to be forgotten. I think that's so cool that you get to have that closeness with Luke.
Lenny