Thursday, January 10, 2008

Just a Teaspoon of Sweet Potatoes Makes Luke Grunt

Not quite as catchy as Mary Poppins. It's true, though, Luke grunted during his entire course of sweet potatoes. However, this is the first meal he's actually eaten anything significant that I fed him (of course he eats everything Melissa feeds him).

Spoon feeding has become easier in general. Usually he grasps for the spoon, and you have to decoy him with a second spoon to get anything in his mouth. Tonight's feeding, however, he just inhaled whenever I got the spoon within an inch of his mouth and the food vanished. He must have been hungry.

Daily he becomes more human-like. Or I guess I should say adult-like, as he technically is a human (he's only 1/8 alien). What I'm trying to say is his behavior is more humanlike.

He has games he likes now. For example, I blow on his face and he blinks and laughs. He likes it when Missy tickles him with her hair. He likes to dance (with our help of course).

He's much more interactive with all of his toys now. He's also very self-entertaining, which is not only convenient, but amazing to watch. He also has about 239048209348 toys thanks to the recent holidays. Thanks everyone... I think... Singing toys put me closer to the edge. The Leap Frog haunts my dreams. I'm taking a 10 minute break from typing. Fetal position.

He also tries to eat everything. This includes food, toys, blankets, carpet, his arm, my arm, the cat, etc. It's fun watching him discover new foods. There's a clear expression on his face that says something like, "What the heck did you just put in my mouth?" While he thinks everything non-food is something to eat, he believes food itself is something to wear instead.

Okay, I had to talk about it somewhere. Solid food poop is completely disgusting. I tried to think of a joke to talk about it more, but it really is disgusting.

He's decided on a new sleeping position. He likes sleeping on his stomach. This is an interesting development. You see, he likes to suckle his bed sheets. So this means that from our perspective (camera on top of the crib) our baby is face down on the sheets all the time. We try to adjust him occasionally so we know he's breathing, but we've started giving up. He also tries to turn his head with a pacifier in his mouth, which results in no pacifier and all three of us awake. We'd unswaddle him, but he still hasn't learned how to not try to gouge his own eyes out when not swaddled. One of these days we'll probably just have to bite the bullet.

His hair is growing, but according to my mom it's coming in even. He's still quite blonde and brown eyed. His eyes continue to generate massive amounts of gunk; we're not sure if that will ever end. Supposedly it can last for up to a year. Maybe it's a blessing, because if he was any cuter I'd probably squeeze him too hard when I hug him.

Luke also likes to eat brains and designed a death ray blaster. That must be the 1/8 alien in him. He prefers his brains scrambled, which is why I don't let him get too close to Melissa.

No comments: